Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Odds and Ends

Solo-campaign prep time…

I feel like I may have been spending in excessive amount of time preparing for my wife’s solo campaign. My usual (temporarily on-hold) S&W campaign I’ve spent much less time on and had a ton of fun with. So I’m trying to decide if the self-imposed pressure for making my wife’s perfect (in my mind) campaign is really just avoidance, or if I really feel like the prep will pay off. Gah! I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I feel like I’ve got to flesh out the town I plan to lock her into for a while just a little further, and do the same for the mini-dungeon also located there.

Re-learn something everyday..?

Here I’d been thinking that THAC0 was a 2nd Edition only thing, although maybe used before that unofficially. Then I was browsing through O2 “Blade of Vengeance” (1984) when I saw the abbreviation defined there on page 3. Weird. I couldn’t find anything quickly via a google for “THAC0 earliest reference” but via Dragonsfoot re-discovered Appendix E in the 1e DMG. Yep, there it is alright. As helpful as Appendix E appears, I don’t remember ever having used it.

Less blog updates…

I’ve been slowly cutting back on blog updates as the weather gets better. Aside from less posts due to game journal updates being put on hold along with our weekly games, I've been wanting to devote more time to getting outside for some fresh air, gardening, and exercise. Gardening! I might have laughed at this when I was younger, but I’ve really come around to the idea. My wife is even slowly convincing me that the two chickens she’s acquired this Spring and built a small pen for will produce enough eggs to prove to me their worth, and stop me from wringing their necks for some soup. Yeah, I can really be a meanie.

Subterraneon D&D...

Occasional player and nephew Josiah and I are off to some caves about five or six hours away this weekend, where we’ll be meeting at least one other OSR blogger and his friend. We might even pull off an underground D&D session, but if not, the trip will still be a lot of fun and I’ll be sure to post some pictures and/or video of our adventure.

2 comments:

Chris Lowrance said...

We garden and raise chickens ourselves. It's worth it. My tomatoes will be ripe soon, and that's the only thing that makes summer worth living through.

GragSmash said...

If you're going to use descending AC, having a THAC0 is a much better reference than having to look at a chart every time. I much prefer doing the math in my head than having to spend a longer time looking it up.

Post a Comment